Breakfast? Dessert? Snack? Healthy? ABSOLUTE PERFECTION?! YES, ALL THE THINGS!!!
It’s almost the new year and the perfect time to try new things!
Yes, I have a sweet tooth and to stay in shape I have to be conscious of what I eat. This recipe satisfies my sweet craving while giving me a good dose of iron, magnesium and omega 3! I hope this recipe inspires you to make some healthy changes to your diet without sacrificing the fun! They may seem time consuming and too much work but they're simple, fun to make and can be made for the week ahead and stored in the fridge.
The main thing: Medjool dates or "natures candy" are all the things that something sweet and satisfying should be. Packed with nutrients and minerals, they make the perfect guilt-free snack. Date Benefits You can use any seeds you like but I love the benefits I get from Flax! Flax Seed Benefits I really could go on and on... ALL of the ingredients in this recipe are super good for you but I'll talk about the rest in future posts.
Medjool dates are naturally very soft and once you add the coconut oil to them and pulse them in the blender/food processor they will have all the moisture they need for these little balls of yumminess to stay together. Honey acts as a glue but even with out they stick alright and are plenty sweet from the dates. Using latex or food safe gloves to roll them is optional but makes the process even easier. MAKE EXTRA, they're too good not to.
* 10-12 pitted medjool dates, pits removed
* 1 cup chopped pecans (or nut of your choice)
* ½ cup whole flax seed (or seed of your choice)
* 2 tablespoon organic coconut oil
* 1 Tablespoon organic honey
* pinch of salt
*Protein powder (great for breakfast, pre/post-workout)
Vanilla Extract, cinnamon, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, dried fruit--- The options are really endless and I can't wait to see what you come up with!
1. Place desired amount of dates in the food processor
2. Add coconut oil to dates, start with 2 tablespoons per dozen dates but depending on how moist your dates are you may need more or less. Pulse until the pieces of dates are chocolate chip size or smaller if you want.
3. Combine date and coconut oil puree, flax seeds, pecans and anything else you're craving in a medium sized bowl.
4. After mixture is well combined, give it a taste and adjust ingredients to your taste.
5. Refrigerate mixture for about 10 minutes to stiffen the mixture and make them easier to roll.
6. Form the mixture into Tablespoon-size balls.
7. Refrigerate balls in an air tight container.
Close your eyes, take a bite... HEAVEN!! RIGHT?!
Next, tweet me a photo of your yummy treats, I Can't wait to see them!!!
All my love,